Green Building Certification
Green building is the practice of creating structures and using processes that are environmentally responsible and resource-efficient throughout a building's life-cycle from siting to design, construction, operation, maintenance, renovation and deconstruction.
Benefits of Green Building Certification
- Certified energy-efficient building
- Minimized envelope and ductwork leakage
- Minimized indoor and outdoor water usage
- Predicted use of estimated 30 to 60% less energy than a comparable home built to International Energy Conservation Code.
Principles of Green Building Certification
- Minimized urban sprawl and needless destruction of valuable land, habitat and green space
- Engagement in a design and construction process that minimizes site disturbance and which values, preserves and actually restores or regenerates valuable habitat, green space and associated eco-systems that are vital to sustaining life
- Encouragement for higher density urban development, urban re-development and urban renewal, and brownfield development as a means to preserve valuable green space
- Preservation of key environmental assets through careful examination of each site